This blog aims to share information on the world of Ophthalmology, but before we get there, let’s first have a look at what Ophthalmology actually is.
Most people know about Optometry, but a few know about Ophthalmology. Usually their first encounter is during their consultation with a General Practitioner or specialist Doctor.
An ophthalmologist is a medical doctor who studies diseases and ailments that affect the eye. They specialise in performing surgical procedures and treating visual issues.
They treat conditions such as:
- Macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy- Corneal conditions
- Cataracts- Cases involving children or infants
- Optic nerve problems
- Complex procedures such as reconstructive surgery
When is the right time to visit an Ophthalmologist?
- When you notice sudden vision loss or have an eye injury.
- Excessive tearing- Eyelid abnormalities
- Seeing coloured circles or spots
- Seeing flashes of light
- Loss of peripheral vision
The world of Ophthalmology covers a lot of ground. Stick around for our next blog post to learn more about this fascinating medical field.